Monday, September 21, 2009

I live to love, and I love to eat

For most of my adult life, people have been telling me that I should be doing something that has to do with food. The more people said it, the more I started to wonder what I could do with my life that would incorporate one of my many loves, food.


I mean I know you understand the passion that one can form for all the taste tantalizing goodness that food can bring…there’s the feeling of warmth and comfort that a bowl of beef stew brings, the sweet, creamy chill that hits your tongue when you take that first lick off of a vanilla ice cream cone, or the salty crunch that you get when you bite into a perfectly cooked French fry. And that’s just the tip of the “wonder that is food” iceberg. But I’ll come back to actual food talk soon enough…


My love for food started at a young age. Of course when I was younger my palate wasn’t that refined. Some of the greatest meals consisted of a McDonald’s Happy Meal or White Castle hamburgers. Not that McDonalds or White Castle aren’t the grease gods of yummy food goodness, but let’s face it anyone who is really into food knows that this is not the best of cuisine. But the true source of my love for food came from something that I love even more, my family. Being Italian, every single member of my family has had a deep appreciation for food. Meals don’t get planned around events, events get planned around meals. And no matter what, there has never been such a thing as having too much food. So no matter how you look at it food has played a major role in my life since, well, the womb.


So why not pay homage to food and the different ways it has affected my life? Why not write about the various meals I have had, or items I have baked, or restaurants I have been to that have all been the silent character in this story, which is my life? So that’s what I intend to share. Charles Schultz (yes the guy who created Snoopy) once said “My life has no purpose, no direction, no aim, no meaning, and yet I'm happy. I can't figure it out. What am I doing right?” Well for me, I think I may have figured it out…I live to love, and I love to eat, therefore I am happy. And you can quote me on that!

3 comments:

  1. So wait, you love to clean the bathroom? You should have mentioned that when you were up here!!!

    Anyway, this is a great start. That first paragraph made me hungry for ice cream and french fries...together!

    Let me know if you ever need a guest commentator on those grease gods of yummy food goodness :)

    -McTodd

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kierstin, this is ingenious! I've learned more about you here than I've learned about you in those "random things about me" on Facebook!

    Looking forward to reading your blog! Love ya!


    Dee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kier,
    Some of the best memories I have of you and me are when we have been eating. Whether it is the sundae at Friday's or the many trips to the dining hall. I love food and our friendship and can't wait to read more.
    Love you!
    Kristine

    ReplyDelete