Friday, October 8, 2010

Mix Two Parts Baking with One Part Social Media

I have two passions in my life. In terms of extracurricular activities food, and even more so baking, is one. In terms of education and career the field of communication, with a focus on social media, is the other. Social media is an increasingly popular form of communication. And as various forms of it grow (i.e., facebook, twitter, the blogsphere) the world as we know it is getting noticeably smaller and therefore more connected.

Now since social media is one of my passions, I have been trying to immerse myself in all its facets. I tweet on twitter, my status and photos get posted on facebook, and of course my outlook on life and food is shared with the virtual world via this blog. But lately I have found that social media has really been the best outlet for collecting ideas and inspiration for my latest baking/cooking venture.

Last weekend I found a recipe for frosted pumpkin cookies. However, I wanted to do something to it to make it more my own. So I tweeted for suggestions and got some responses back, so instead of just following the recipe verbatim, I added pecans, resulting in this…



Now I am on to my next cooking mission for this coming weekend: a yummy crock pot recipe. So again I looked to the twitter world for suggestions, and within a matter of minutes, got a list of crock pot recipes.

But it’s not just twitter… Facebook is another outlet for sharing and suggestions. As pictures get posted of my latest creation, comments are made, links are shared, pages are suggested, and before you know it I have developed a whole new food social network.

So if you really want to create a recipe for success, just mix two parts baking with one part social media, bake at 350 degrees until golden brown, and voilĂ ! Perfect every time.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Kierstin,

    I never realized that you had this Culinary "fetish".

    How could you keep your perfect figure and eat your face out?

    I read somewhere in one of your posts that you are a Maven with Social Media. I am trying to utilize that Medium for my business but find it somewhat puzzling.

    Would you like to meet for dinner and give me some tips? Also, I'm happy to see that you are with J&J. I always believed that you had enormous potential in very many ways.

    I am hoping this is a private email, dammit :)

    Sy

    ReplyDelete
  2. sytech@optonline.net
    sytech@comforttechnologies.com
    sytech@permastim.com
    sytech@yahoo.com
    copanahoy@gmail.com

    Please drop me a line.

    Sy G.


    b.t.w.- I joined Lifetime Athletic in Berkeley Heights several months ago. I absolutely LOVE it.
    I usually do a 40 minute pool workout.

    ReplyDelete