Monday, April 25, 2011

What Could’ve Been a Birthday Treat Gone Awry

Today is my boss’ birthday so, in honor of him and his love for carrot cake, I decided to bake carrot cake cupcakes.

All week I searched for what I thought would be the perfect recipe, finally landing on Ina Garten’s carrot cake cupcakes. The recipe seemed simple enough, and most importantly, it contained all the classic ingredients: cinnamon, raisins, walnuts, carrots and of course, cream cheese frosting.

Sunday afternoon, the baking process began. Everything was going very well, until I took the cupcakes out of the oven. DISASTER! I don’t know what I did wrong exactly, but what I ended up taking out of the oven was not a pretty sight. The edges were baked to a crisp and the middle sank las if the cake were being sucked into a black hole. What a mess…

But if there is one thing that I have learned over the years it’s that, in baking, when one (oven) door closes, another opens. I had been smart enough, in my shopping, to buy extra carrots and raisins, so I regrouped and decided to ditch the cupcake idea and go with something a little safer…Martha Stewart’s Carrot Cake Cookies.

The result…well let’s just say they looked a lot prettier. Now it’s just a matter of time until I see if they are a hit with the birthday boy.

1 comment:

  1. Whew! Good save! I've had that happen to my carrot cupcakes too, and I never figured out why it happened. Thanks for the link to the carrot cookies; looks like a great recipe to try.

    ReplyDelete